- 2 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- ¾ cup of light corn syrup
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp of room temperature water 2-4 drops of pink food colouring (optional)
- 2-3 drops of raspberry flavoured oil (optional)
- Cut the round ends off an old or inexpensive whisk using wire cutters. Evenly space out the tines. Cut open a garbage bag and cover a large surface area (table or countertop) to make clean up easier. Lightly spray a large stainless steel bowl with vegetable spray and set in the middle of your surface.
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water over medium high heat. Heat until your candy thermometer reaches 300°F or hard crack stage. Immediately remove from heat and transfer to a microwave safe bowl. Use your cut whisk and stir in your food colouring and flavoured oil. Note this bowl will get very hot so handle with care.
- Take the whisk out of the hot sugar mixture and vigorously flick the whisk back and forth and in a circular motion 12” above the bowl to create thin strands. Continue dipping and flicking until you get enough strands to wrap around a paper straw or lollipop stick. If the mixture hardens, microwave for 30 second intervals until it softens to the right consistency. Continue until all the hot sugar has been used up.