To deep fry, Mazola® Corn Oil
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- Extra bread flour for rolling beignets
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oil for frying to about 350°F. Oil should be at least 2-inches deep, if a deep fat fryer isn't available an electric skillet works well for frying beignets.
- Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Heat buttermilk and water to very warm (120°F to 130°F). Mixture may look curdled.
- Add to flour mixture and mix until well combined. Add remaining 1 cup flour and mix well. Dough will be sticky.
- Place dough on very generously floured surface. Roll dough to a 9 x 15-inch rectangle, adding more flour as needed. Cut into 3 inch squares.
- Fry 3 to 4 beignets at a time, turning occasionally until well browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Cool a few minutes, then generously sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.