BROWN SUGAR CAKE
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened, cut into 8 pieces
CARAMEL NUT TOPPING
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped, toasted nuts OR flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
Brown Sugar Cake:
- Beat milk, corn syrup, egg and vanilla in a small bowl; set aside. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixer bowl. Add sugar and brown sugar; mix on low speed to combine. Add butter, one piece at a time, mixing on low speed about 45 seconds, until butter and flour begin to clump together. With mixer still running, add two thirds of egg mixture. Increase speed to medium-high; beat 1 minute until light and fluffy. Gradually add remaining egg mixture. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Beat again on medium-high until thoroughly combined, about 15 seconds. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare Caramel Nut Topping while cake is baking.
Caramel Nut Topping:
- Combine brown sugar, flour and salt in a small bowl. Stir in corn syrup, evaporated milk, butter and nuts or coconut.
- When cake is finished baking, remove from oven. Set oven temperature to 400°F. Carefully spread Caramel Nut Topping over hot cake, a small amount at a time. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until entire surface of topping is bubbly. Cool slightly. Cut cake in pan and serve warm.