- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- Beat egg whites in large bowl with mixer at medium speed until frothy. Increase to high speed and beat just until soft peaks form (do not overbeat); set aside.
- Stir corn syrup, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture boils. Cover and boil 2 minutes without stirring. Remove lid and boil 4 to 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Beating egg whites on high speed, pour hot syrup in a thin, steady stream into egg whites, being careful not to pour syrup onto beaters. Add salt; continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually whisk sifted cocoa into egg white mixture, just until incorporated. Frost cake immediately or store frosting in airtight container in refrigerator for 2 days. (Frosting will gradually soften and deflate over time.)