- 1 pink or red pound cake*
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Fleischmann’s baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 cups vanilla buttercream
- Valentine’s sprinkles, to finish
- Preheat the oven to 350(f) degrees. Grease & line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Slice pink pound cake into 1/2 inch thick slices & cut each slice into a heart using a 3-inch heart shaped cookie cutter. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, cocoa powder & milk until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt. Mix until batter comes together.
- Transfer a few tablespoons of the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Place the cake hearts in a straight line back into the loaf pan, securing the end pieces with cake scraps.
- Pour remaining batter over the cake hearts. Bake until the top bounces back to touch, about 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from pan & frosting.
- To finish, transfer buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe buttercream into swirls & finish with sprinkles. Slice & enjoy!
*NOTE: Prepare the pink pound cake a day in advance to ensure the cake is fully set & chilled. Simply use your favourite vanilla pound cake recipe & colour with pink or red gel food colouring.