- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, caraway seed, salt, and baking soda in large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in raisins, egg, and buttermilk; mix until ingredients are just blended (dough will be somewhat dry).
- Turn out onto well floured surface and with floured hands knead dough 8 to 10 strokes. Shape dough into a ball; place in greased 2 quart round casserole dish. Brush dough with egg white.
- Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Cover top of bread with foil after 1 hour of baking to prevent over browning). Cool bread in casserole dish 10 minutes. Remove bread from casserole and cool completely on wire rack.
TIP: Golden currents can be substituted for the raisins.