- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups bread flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Lemon Glaze (Optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine dried blueberries and lemon peel in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, undissolved yeast, cardamom and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat milk, sugar and butter to very warm (120° to 130°F, butter may not melt completely). Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg and lemon extract; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Knead in blueberries and lemon peel. Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into thirds. Roll each portion into a 16-inch long rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet. Braid the three ropes together, tucking the ends under. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place 45 to 60 minutes or until doubled. Lightly brush with 2 teaspoons milk and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove loaf to wire rack to cool. If desired, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread.