- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (4-1/2 tsp.) envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup butter OR margarine
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple flavoring
- 5 cups ground walnuts
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine sour cream, water and butter; heat to between 120° to 130°F. (Note: butter may not melt completely). Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer.
- Add eggs and 1 cup flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes to form a ball.
- Cover and let dough rest 10 minutes.
- For filling, melt butter over low heat. Stir in sugar and maple flavoring. Add walnuts; blend well. Set aside.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each piece into a 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread each with an equal amount of nut filling. Roll each up from the long side; seal edges. Place on greased baking sheets; sealed edges down. Cover. Let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- For frosting, combine sugar, milk and vanilla until mixture reaches desired consistency. Drizzle over each roll.
Variation: To make Pecan Nut Rolls, use the following filling. Melt 1 cup butter over low heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons vanilla extract. Add 7 cups ground pecans; blend well.