- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 (2 tsp.) envelope of active dry yeast
- 2 tsp. of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of warm water (100°-110°F)
- ¼ cup (½ stick) of butter, melted
- 10-12 hotdogs
- 10 cups of water
- ⅔ cup of baking soda
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 2 tsp of water
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
- Oil for bowl
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, salt and water and stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Sprinkle the yeast over top and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Once the yeast is fully dissolved and frothy, add in flour and butter and knead until completely incorporated and smooth. Approximately 5 minutes. Form into a smooth ball. Lightly grease a bowl with oil, transfer dough, cover and let rest in a warm area for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with oil. Bring 10 cups of water to a boil and add baking soda. Prepare your hotdogs by removing them from the package pat each one dry and set aside. Lightly flour your surface and roll out the dough from the bowl. Divide into 10-12 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a long rope (approx. 60 cm long).
- Wrap the dough rope around the hotdog in a spiral, starting from one end to the other end. Make sure to leave the tips exposed and wrap each section so the dough is touching with no gaps. Place the pretzel dog gently into the boiling water one at a time and boil for 30 seconds. Remove using a slotted spoon and place directly on your prepared baking sheet. Whisk together the egg yolk and water and brush mixture over each pretzel dog. Sprinkle with everything but the bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.