- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon maple flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple flavor
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Brown sausage and onion in skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is browned. Drain fat; mix sage, 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla into the meat. Set aside.
- Heat corn syrup, butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish. Place 4 slices of bread in a single layer over the syrup, top with the sausage, then place the remaining 4 slices of bread on top of sausage.
- Whisk eggs, milk, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 teaspoon maple flavoring and the salt. Carefully pour over bread.
- Cover; refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Invert each piece when serving.