TOFFEE APPLE TOPPING
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Crown® Golden or Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 2 large OR 3 medium baking apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toffee baking bits (not chocolate coated)*
- 1-1/3 cups apple cider OR 2/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 2-inch round cake pan. (Do not use a pan with less than 2-inch sides.)
- For TOFFEE TOPPING:Stir brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted and sugar begins to dissolve. Pour into prepared pan. Arrange sliced apples on top of syrup mixture. Sprinkle with toffee bits.
- For CAKE:If using cider, heat to boiling in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. (If using apple juice concentrate, do not boil. Omit this step.) Reduce heat and simmer until cider is reduced by half (to 2/3 cup), about 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Tip: To speed cooling, place pan with cider in an ice filled bowl.
- Mix butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Add to butter mixture in several additions, alternating with cooled cider. Carefully spoon batter over apples.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Serve warm.