- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (2-1/4 tsp.) envelope Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Sliced almonds for garnish
- Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Heat milk and butter in a glass measuring cup in a microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes or until temperature reaches between 120° to 130°F. Stir heated milk into flour mixture. Add egg and beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead dough for 4 to 6 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix together filling ingredients; set aside.
- Roll out dough to three 4x18-inch rectangles. Spread filling evenly on each piece of dough. Roll up each piece lengthwise, similar to a jelly roll. Pinch to seal the seam.
- Braid all three pieces together and place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm braid. Garnish with slivered almonds.