3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 loaf egg bread, sliced
1 cup fresh mixed berries
8 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Easy caramel sauce, for serving
- Lightly butter the front & back of each slice of bread. To a greased 9 by 12-inch baking dish arrange the bread in an overlapping staggered pattern.
- Add the berries to the baking dish, ensuring the berries are tucked under each slice of bread.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & vanilla until well combined.
- Pour mixture evenly over the bread & press down on each slice to allow it to soak up the liquid.
- Bake at 350(f) degrees until cooked throughout & golden, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar & serve with caramel sauce.