100 grams granulated sugar
100 grams egg whites
105 grams almond flour
105 grams powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Brown food colouring
Vanilla buttercream, for filling
Melted white chocolate, for drizzling
Red & green sprinkles, to finish
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a double boiler over low heat whisk together the sugar & egg whites until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment & beat on medium until stiff glossy peaks are formed.
- Sift together almond flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon & nutmeg. Gently fold mixture into the egg whites. Add brown food colouring if desired. Continue folding until batter resembles soft serve ice cream.
- Transfer filling to a piping bag fitted with a round piping tip & pipe 1-inch rounds on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bang the pans on the counter to release air bubbles & pop any remaining air bubbles with a toothpick.
- Let macarons rest at room temperature for a minimum of 30 minutes, or until a skin develops on the outside. Preheat the oven to 310(f) degrees at this time.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (one tray at a time), rotating the pan every 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven & let cool for 30 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- To the flat side of the macaron add a dollop of buttercream & gently press together a second macaron to form a sandwich.
- Drizzle the top with white chocolate & finish with sprinkles.